Medical-biological research has a 75-year tradition at Berlin-Buch. Here in 1930 the Institute for Brain Research of the Kaiser Wilhelm Association with the affiliated neurological clinic was established, with Oskar Vogt as director. At that time the institute was the largest and most modern of its kind in the world. Vogt's work focused on histological-anatomic and functional layer- and field structures (topistic) of the cerebral cortex. From 1937 on, Vogt's successor directed the institute's research onto various neuropathological problems including brain tumors. The institute achieved special renown through the work of the Russian geneticist on gene mutations and the structure of the gene, in part together with Max Delbrück.
From 1939/40 on, the brains from victims who had been killed as part of the Nazi euthanasia program, and also war victims, were used for research purposes at the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute of Brain Research. A memorial on the Campus commemorates the victims and serves as a warning for future generations.
In 1947 the institute and clinic were combined as the Institute for Medicine and Biology and placed under the auspices of the German Academy of Sciences in Berlin. The institute became a well-known center for cancer research with research projects on the chemical genesis of cancer, oncogenic viruses, biochemistry, immunology, genetics and radiobiology as well as the clinical treatment of tumors. From 1956 onward, a second emphasis was placed on cardiovascular research, likewise integrating research and clinical practice. In 1972 the different Academy research institutes at Buch merged to form the central institutes for molecular biology, for cancer research and for cardiovascular research.
These three together - basic research, the clinics and biotechnology - make the Campus one of the leading institutions of its kind in Germany. For further information, refer to: Geschichte der medizinisch-biologischen Institute Berlin-Buch / Professor Heinz Bielka / ISBN 3-540-42842-9